Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"I love his old portugal's nose."

(461.33-463.27)  Shaun punctuates the closing of Isabel's reply (which ended with "ah ah ah ah. . . .") with a resounding "MEN!" -- thus effectively closing her prayer.  "Ever gloriously kind!" he tells her.  "And I truly am eucherised to yours."  With "his chalished drink now well in hand," he toasts the girls, saying, "[W]oo and win womenlong with health to rich vineyards, Erin go Dry!"  He offers the girls some champagne and (perhaps drunkenly) swears to them that "I ne'er will prove I'm untrue to your liking . . . so long as my hole looks.  Down."

"So gullaby, me poor Isley!" says Shaun, both telling her goodbye and saying she's gullible.  "But I'm not for forgetting me innerman monophone for I'm leaving my darling proxy behind for your consolering, lost Dave the Dancekerl, a squamous runaway and a dear old man pal of mine too."  Like the departing Christ, Shaun is leaving the girls with a substitute, here the previously departed (he ran away, after all) Dave the Dancekerl.  If he could only give up sex and alcohol, Shaun says, Dave would be "the unicorn of his kind."  Still, Shaun says that Dave is "the mightiest penumbrella I ever flourished on behond the shadow of a post!"

Shaun greets Dave's arrival with glee:  "But soft!  Can't be?  Do mailstanes mumble?  Lumtum lumtum!  Now!  The froubadour!  I fremble!"  When Dave arrives he looks like "he fell out of space, all draped in mufti, coming home to mourn mountains from his old continence."  Arrived from a stay on the European continent and having completed "his French evolution," Dave is the returning Shem, and also the returning Joyce.  "He's the sneaking likeness of us, faith, me altar's ego in miniature and every Auxonian aimer's ace as nasal a Romeo as I am, for ever cracking quips on himself, that merry, the jeenjakes," Shaun says.  He's strange, Shaun adds, but loveable:  "He has novel ideas I know and he's a jarry queer fish betimes, I grant you, and cantanberous, the poisoner of his word, but lice and all and semicoloured stainedglasses, I'm enormously full of that foreigner, I'll say I am!"  Cementing the idea that the two are twins, Shaun says, "Got by the one goat, suckled by the same nanna, one twitch, one nature makes us oldworld kin."

Shaun does offer criticisms of Dave-Shem, of course.  He's a turncoat:  "To camiflag he turned his shirt."  And he is notorious for borrowing money:  "Isn't he after borrowing all before him, making friends with everybody red in Rossya, white in Alba and touching every distinguished Ourishman he could ever distinguish before or behind from a Yourishman for the customary halp of a crown and peace?"

No comments:

Post a Comment