Friday, September 11, 2015

"The elephant's house is his castle."

(536.28-538.17)  While HCE says that "I have bared my whole past," he continues his defense in today's reading.  He's willing to go to court to clear his name, and he has plans to be baptized and converted "into a selt" so that he can "westerneyes" England.

HCE devotes a fair amount of time to defending himself against a charge that I don't remember being brought yet.  He says that he denies having partnered with his friend, Mr Billups, to purchase a slave, "Blanchette Brewster from Cherna Djamja, Blawland-via-Brigstow," or to sell a share in her.  Immediately following this assertion, he turns back to Kate's recent statement, in which she spoke of HCE's interest in her.  "Thou, Frick's Flame, Uden Sulfer, who strikest only on the marryd bokks, enquick me if so be I did cophetuise milady's maid!" he says.  To do so would be ridiculous, he goes on, adding, "Such wear a frillick for my comic strip, Mons Meg's Monthly, comes out aich Fanagan's Weck, to bray at by clownsillies in Donkeybrook Fair."  (I would like to read HCE's comic strip.)

The "tradefully unintristid" HCE almost seems to protest too much.  "Inprobable!" he later continues.  "I do not credit one word of it from such and suchess mistraversers.  Just feathers!  Nanenities!"  To do the things he's been accused of would be like contracting a sexually transmitted disease, he says.  He wouldn't do it for any price.  "So hemp me Cash!" he concludes at the end of today's reading.  "I meanit."

No comments:

Post a Comment