Thursday, September 4, 2014

"I can seen from my holeydome what it is to be wholly sane."

(154.18-156.18)  Alright, it's day two of the Mookse and the Gripes.  We left off yesterday with the Gripes asking the Mookse what time it is.  The Mookse replies with a series of orders to the Gripes, essentially telling him, "I'm not going to stoop down to your level and answer that question."  He resumes by asking, "Quote awhore?"  This could be the Mookse asking in English whether he should do something a common layperson would do (quote a whore?) or asking in Latin if the Gripes really wants to know the hour (quod hora?).

Immediately after asking "Quote awhore?," the Mookse explains what he's really up to:  "That is quite about what I came on my missions with my intentions laudibiliter to settle with you, barbarousse."  ("Laudabiliter" is the papal bull by which Pope Adrian IV gave King Henry II dominion over Ireland.)  The Mookse is here not to make friends, but to assert his primacy, whether the Gripes likes it or not.  "Well, sour?" the Mookse asks.  "Is this space of our couple of hours too dimensional for you, temporiser?"

Now the space-time conflict expands to encompass the schism between the Western and Eastern christian churches.  The Gripes refuses to submit to the Mookse:  "My tumble, loudy bullocker, is my own.  My velicity is too fit in one stockend.  And my spetial inexshellsis the belowing things ab ove."  The reply of the Gripes astonishes the Mookse, who excommunicates the Gripes and splits the church in two ("Tugurios-in-Newrobe or Tukurias-in-Ashies" -- the Church in Rome and the Church in Asia, Turkey in the West and Turkey in the East, and the Church in new robes and the Church in ashes).  The Mookse still feels secure and in the right, though:  "My side, thank decretals, is as safe as motherour's houses . . . and I can seen from my holeydome what it is to be wholly sane."

After lifting his jeweled staff to the sky and bringing down fire, the Mookse offers 133 proofs supporting his position, drawing on a number of distinguished sources (such as Euclid and Erasmus).  But while the Mookse is proving things forwards and backwards, the rascally Gripes is indoctrinating the congregation on his own side.  Today's reading ends fittingly with the two sides reaching "philioquus," or, as McHugh points out, "Filioque," the key point of contention between the Eastern and Western churches involving the procession of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment