Sunday, November 1, 2015

"End here."

(627.4-628.16)  After noticing HCE's change, ALP knows that her time is up.  Just as he is being replaced by the sons, she is being replaced by her daughter.  "Be happy, dear ones!" she says.  "May I be wrong!  For she'll be sweet for you as I was sweet when I came down out of me mother."  ALP, the great river-mother, could have stayed in her childhood bedroom in the sky, yet she dropped down to earth for us.  "First we feel," she says.  "Then we fall."  

"And let her rain now if she likes," ALP goes on, granting her royal crown to Isabel, who will now reign.  "Gently or strongly as she likes.  Anyway let her rain for my time is come.  I done me best when I was let."  ALP has grown weary of the world and her planet of children, who she says are "becoming lothed to me."  HCE, she says, is not the regal man she once thought she was, but rather a bumpkin.  "I thought you the great in all things, in guilt and in glory," she tells him.  "You're but a puny."  Worn out from bearing her burden, she is "[l]oonely in me loneness."  She'll slip away before the children wake up.  "They'll never see," she says.  "Nor know.  Nor miss me."

As we turn to the final page of Finnegans Wake, it is time for ALP to return to her "cold mad feary father," the great sea.  She only has one leaf left from those that fell on her from the trees (the last leaf, or page, of the Wake, McHugh notes).  She'll carry that leaf to remind her of everything that we've seen pass.  Perhaps she'll see HCE, the great father, appear "under whitespread wings like he'd come from Arkangels."  If he did, she says, "I sink I'd die down over his feet, humbly dumbly, only to washup" on the shore.

"End here," says ALP in the book's final lines.  "Us then.  Finn, again!"  As she dissolves into the sea, she is given the "keys," both to her heart and to heaven, and sings a song of her (and our) travels:  "A way a lone a last a loved a long the"

And with those words, the journey has ended.  I can now say that I've read Finnegans Wake.

7 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I found your blog post by looking to see where visitors were coming from to visit my blog articles. I have never read Finnegan's Wake. I think I've cracked open the pages of The Dubliner(s)...but never journeyed too far inside that dense dance of sentences that last like the stride of twenty-league boots.
    All the Best!
    Robert Farmilo
    PS-Come and visit my website if you're in the mood:
    http://wwww.thegodconsciousnessproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    The BFG Online stream

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a minute, I'd like to introduce you to my blog "Emily's Virtual Rocket". This is a serious newsblog with a special emphasis on transgender issues. Almost every day, the newsblog is updated, so you can read the very latest. In addition, I have covered news critiquing Donald Trump.

    I hope you find this interesting. Please paste the following:

    emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    Thank you! By the way, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy Kwanzaa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronald Wadlinger,

    (My first attempt to comment was eaten by the internet, so I apologize if this double posts). About a year ago I was searching for a reading guide to FW and stumbled upon your site. I just finished reading FW - 2 pages a day - in a little under a year using your site. FW and your site became like old friends that I checked in with every night before going to bed. Really enjoyed my time with the book and reading here and found myself sad to see the book end. I don’t know if you still check these comboxes, but if so congrats and thank you on this site. I hope you never take it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for posting. Perhaps my main aim in posting this reading diary (or reading diaria, as Joyce may have said in a relatively uninspired moment) was that it might be helpful or interesting to someone else making his or her way through the bends of the Wake’s bays. So, it’s not an understatement for me to say that your note has really made my month, as I find it fantastic that my labor of love resonated so much with you. Congratulations on finishing FW, and be sure to check back from time to time to see if I’ve added anything new (as I intend to do when I (eventually, some day) reread the book or encounter any Wake-related ephemera). Viva Joyce!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Ronald.
    This evening I also came to the final page of the wake.
    I took Campbell and Robinson, and every one of your posts from start to finish.
    An incredible feet to post for every page Or two as you did, I bet it was rewarding!
    You were a big help to me and others I’m sure.
    I guess we do what now, startagain?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog for wake knowledge expansion. Not all blogs seem available. Is there some way to access all

    ReplyDelete